Saturday, October 26, 2013

Coffeeneuring #6

As I dropped down to the BGT, received a friendly hello from a member of the Seattle Randonneurs, who complimented the Bleriot and encouraged me to join the group for their winter training series.  I'm inclined to do so, along with helping out with Cascade's CTS and Getting Ready to Ride events next February.  Riding through winter is admirable, without going too nuts, and it's good to have goals.

The sixth ride in my Seattle Coffeeneuring series this fall took me by the Seattle Peace Park and a view of a Halloween-draped 1000 Cranes statue.   From there, a stop at the Leschi Starbucks, always a place to see other cyclists, both casual and the serious, as it's a central location for those circumnavigating the lake, heading over the I-90 bridge to points east, or just out for a mere toodle.   I filled up on a double-short latte, plus a chocolate croissant, thus earning coffeeneuring points.


Then, up the hill, through the I-90 bike tunnel and in a departure from my norm, a left turn onto the Mountain-to-Sound trail, and up Beacon Hill to Daejeon Park, a little gem dedicated to a sister city in Korea.   And, the sun came out while taking a picture of the Korean-style shelter.



Continued to the end of the trail and a fine descent on Holgate into Sodo, I rode back up the waterfront and found Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior docked at Pier 66.  Volunteers were asking for signatures on their petition to the Russian government to free the Arctic 30, a group seized during their protest of Gazprom drilling in the Arctic.  I gladly signed, and took a few photos of the ship.

Rest of the ride was relatively uneventful, but fall colors on the trail, more leaves on the ground, grey skies (it's sure been foggy around here!) and a definite chill in the breeze all underscore that we're into serious autumn now.




No comments: