Tuesday, June 19, 2018

New Bike Review



After three weeks and some 430 miles, here are my first impressions of the Rodriguez Rainier.  The bike is fast, comfortable and fun.  R & E gave me a custom fit for my odd-shaped body, and built a bike that was more upright, with a smaller frame, and shorter reach than I was used to.  The result is that the ride is faster up the hills, more comfortable to get into the drops on the handlebars, and easier to pedal on longer distances.   The bike's lighter weight has taken some time to get used to, a little squirrely on the descents and in crosswinds, compared to what I rode for the past ten years.  The yellow color is more visible, but also shows the grime and dirt.   Some say that it can get mistaken for a station-free ride-share Ofo bike.

I made a couple of adjustments from the standard Rainier Limited set up. I swapped the Panaracer Paselas for Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires.  The result is more weight, a wider profile, and a steadier ride, especially on rough surfaces.   I added a Brooks Cambium saddle.  There was no need to break it in, and the fit was comfortable from the start.   Other changes including installing a kickstand.  Yes.  Much, much easier, and now the bike won't fall over when I lean it against stuff.  Another touch was Swift's Bandido handlebar bag, spacious enough for my clutter and food.

The result is a good bike for everyday rides, for MORE or LESS hills in the evening, and for the last three big rides, Flying Wheels, the Kenmore-Sultan schlep, and a glorious Kent-Enumclaw CTS #11, through the foothills, farmland and NW Woods.

So far, so good, and I'm pleased with the choice.

No comments: